Sunday, October 31, 2010

About to leave home

Welcome to my journal. I will use this blog to document my time in Antarctica. I will be working in the Dry Valleys, which are in the picture on the left. I leave home tomorrow, so the picture here is from the National Geographic website. Please feel free to ask questions in the comments section. I'll try to answer questions when I have internet access.

My background: I grew up in Michigan, and I studied ecology at the University of Michigan. I studied aquatic insects in streams in the Appalachian Mountains in graduate school at Virginia Tech, and now I normally work in the Everglades in south Florida. Most of my research focuses on why different types of organisms live together in different types of ecosystems. In the Appalachians, I studied how logging affected the types of insects we find in streams. In the Everglades I study how hydroperiod and nutrient availability influence aquatic invertebrate communities.

2 comments:

Aunt Eva said...

Good luck Eric! Make sure you don't lose any fingers or toes. How very exciting. I'll be watching your blog.

Love, Aunt Eva

Unknown said...

Eric - This is amazing. Good luck with your research and have a blast - I never knew anyone who went to Antarctia!

Sue Bresler (Anne's mom)