Saturday, December 8, 2012

On the "road"

I left Virginia Tech on Thursday, Dec 6 and arrived in Auckland, New Zealand on Dec 8.  According to my flight itinerary, I have traveled 8,828 miles so far.  I was on a plane or in airports for 29 hours straight, and I still have a lot of traveling to do.  But for now, I am spending the weekend with a colleague at the University of Waikato in Hamilton, New Zealand.  On Tuesday  I will fly to Christchurch, which is a city on the South Island in New Zealand.  This is where the United States Antarctic Program has their facilities where scientists and support crew get prepared to head down to Antarctica.  Christchurch was a beautiful city, but it was devastated by an earthquake on February 22, 2011. There were still aftershocks, even a year after the original earthquake, when I was in Christchurch last year. I'm looking forward to seeing how the city is recovering two years out.


View Travel to Antarctica in a larger map

The map above has the locations of the places I've traveled through so far.

No comments: