Friday, January 6, 2012

Angelica asked:
Which part of Antarctica do the penguins live in? Also, have you seen any big groups of penguins?
That's a great question!  The penguins live in rookeries.  Rookeries are the places where the penguins build their nests, and they are near the coast of Antarctica.  However, there are places in Antarctica where the ice over the sea never melts (this is called the ice shelf), so they have to be far enough north so that they can find places where the ice melts or cracks so they can get into the water to find food.  

The place where I am is McMurdo Station, which is on Ross Island, which is partially surrounded by ice shelf (does not melt) and sea ice (does melt).  Because we are near ice that melts, we have penguin colonies on this island, but I haven't been able to see them because they are on a part of the island that you can only go to if you have a special permit.  I have heard that when the ice melts near McMurdo Station later in the year that we will see more penguins and whales.  I hope that happens before I have to leave.

2 comments:

Kristina Araya said...

I hope you see penguins and whales before you leave too!

Love,
Angelica

Marky said...

Hi Kristina, is it really possible to see penguins and whales when I get to have my own Antarctica Travel?