Friday, January 6, 2012

Back from the field camp

I just got back from a week in the Dry Valleys, specifically Taylor Valley. Between work and internet outages at the camps, I wasn't able to update the blog, but now I'm back in McMurdo so expect some more updates and pictures.

My tent at the camp at Lake Bonney in Taylor Valley
I had lots of different tasks while I was in Taylor Valley.  This year I am working on projects that are part of the McMurdo Dry Valleys Long Term Ecological Research Program.  Lots of scientists have been working on this research for a long time so that we can understand how the ecosystem works in Antarctica.  I'm working with the soil scientists so I got to do lots of hiking to collect soil samples to bring back to the lab.  I also had to use a machine to measure the amount of carbon dioxide coming out of the soil, which we can use to figure out how active the soil microorganisms are.

I had a chance to hike over the Canada Glacier, and hike up to the Hughes and Taylor Glaciers.  The Glaciers are very impressive up close.
The Hughes Glacier

Expect more blog posts and pictures and answers to questions in the coming days.   Oh, and Happy New Year!

No comments: